ANNOUNCEMENT NUMBER: CCE#2018/01
POSITION: INSTRUCTOR IN INTENSIVE ENGLISH (1 POSITION)
OPENING DATE: January 4, 2018
CLOSING DATE: January 25, 2018
WORK HOURS: Full-time, 40hours/week
DURATION: One year renewable
The International University of Grand-Bassam is seeking a candidate to fill the position of Intensive English Instructor in the Center for Continuing Education (CCE).
The International University of Grand-Bassam (IUGB) is an independent institution, established as a private-public partnership, offering an American-style curriculum in English. IUGB opened in 2005 and was formally accredited as a University in Côte d’Ivoire, by the promulgation of Decree n° 2007-477 on 16 May 2007. IUGB offers Bachelor degree programs in the School of Business and Social Sciences and in the School of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics. It has a University Preparatory Program (UPP) which prepares students for university-level work. The Center for Continuing Education (CCE) unit of IUGB is committed to updating, improving, reinforcing and consolidating the abilities and skills of our students, professionals in the workforce and various members of our community through courses in English and French languages, tests preparation courses and other professional training courses.
BASIC FUNCTIONS OF POSITION
Under the supervision of CCE Manager, the Instructor will be expected to teach Intensive English and French courses at IUGB and to render services as required by IUGB administration (A summary of the position description is available on our website: http://www.iugb.org/) and Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/InternationalUniversityofGrandBassam
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS REQUIRED
All applicants must address each selection criterion detailed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item.
Master’s in TESOL/Applied Linguistics or related field, or equivalent, preferably earned from an institution in an English-speaking country
Excellent English skills.
Familiarity with the American system of higher education.
At least three semesters experience teaching English to speakers of other languages, preferably at university level.
International teaching experience and/or study or extended stay in an English-speaking country.
Experience in university intensive English programs or similar language programs.
International University of Grand-Bassam
Attention: Human Resources Manager
BP 564 Grand-Bassam
Via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
POINT OF CONTACT
International University of Grand-Bassam
Human Resources Office
Tel: (225) 18.104.22.168 / 22.214.171.124
All application must include the following:
- A letter of application stating the candidate’s interest in the position and qualifications;
- A curriculum vitae including the names and contact details of at least two referees;
- Evidence of effective teaching, for example, copies of teaching evaluations;
- Transcripts of graduate studies completed (official transcripts will be requested from successful applicants).
Important Notice: Applicants MUST submit a current resume and a cover letter. Copies of both education documents and working experience must be attached to your application. When submitting your application via email, please always start the subject line with the Vacancy Announcement’s number followed by the position title. E.g.: VA CCE#2018/01, Instructor in Intensive English.
The Instructor will be expected to teach Intensive English and French courses at IUGB and to render services as required by IUGB administration. Materials development and providing learning support to students are integral responsibilities of this position. Courses at university level (such as composition, speech, technical communication, or foreign language) might also be assigned, depending on the candidate’s qualifications and interests.
- Teaching courses in CCE intensive English and French program (normally 15 course hours per week);
- Contributing to the development of the program through materials and curriculum development, peer observations, and contributions to teaching workshops;
- Contributing to the promotion of CCE
- Providing additional tutoring to students through the writing lab, student clubs, and other programs;
- Attending faculty meetings;
- Identifying learning needs of students, defining appropriate learning objectives, and ensuring that content, methods of delivery and learning materials will meet the defined learning objectives;
- Choosing appropriate textbooks and other teaching materials, designing lesson plans, delivering course contents to students;
- Assessing and grading students’ work and examinations, and providing constructive feedback to students;
- Seeking to improve teaching performance by continuously being up-to-date with current advances in pedagogy, and obtaining and analyzing feedback from students, peers, and the Coordinator;
- Collaborating with support staff and academic colleagues to ensure student needs and expectations are met;
- Collaborating with academic colleagues on course development as well as curriculum development or changes.
Additional responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Teaching courses for the University Preparatory Program or courses in the University core;
- Assisting with the student admissions and placement process;
- Participation in student recruitment events.
- Being proactive
- Essential: Master’s in TESOL/Applied Linguistics or related field, or equivalent, preferably earned from an institution in an English-speaking country.
- Essential: Excellent English skills.
- Preferred: Familiarity with the American system of higher education.
- Essential: At least three semesters experience teaching English to speakers of other languages, preferably at university level.
- Highly recommended: International teaching experience and/or study or extended stay in an English-speaking country.
- Desirable: Experience in university intensive English programs or similar language programs.
Essential Skills and Personal Qualities:
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work in teams.
- Commitment to high quality teaching.
- Commitment to making a contribution to the growth and development of a young, innovative institution.
- Basic computer literacy.
- Willingness and ability to integrate educational technologies into teaching and course management.
- Creativity and interest in materials development.