ICRC SENIOR POLICY ADVISER IN ABIDJAN DELEGATION
Country: Côte d’Ivoire
Contract type: National Open-Ended
WHAT WE DO
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) works worldwide to provide humanitarian assistance to people affected by conflict and armed violence. We take action in response to emergencies and at the same time promote respect for international humanitarian law. We are an independent and neutral organization, and our mandate stems essentially from the Geneva Conventions of 1949. We work closely with National Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies and with their International Federation in order to ensure a concerted, rational and rapid humanitarian response to the needs of the victims of armed conflict or any other situation of internal violence. We direct and coordinate the international activities conducted in these situations.
In line with 2019-2022 Institutional Strategy, Africa Regional strategic framework and ICRC International Financial Institutions (IFI) engagement framework and, the ICRC intends to further engagement with the African Development Bank (AfDB) on its strategic direction as both organizational paths will increasingly overlap.
Building upon the ICRC-AfDB outreach, the Senior Policy Advisor will spearhead the ICRC’s institutional engagement with the Bank, integrating the different facets of the partnership’s ambitions. S/he will help support interaction at the leadership levels with the AfDB, as well as help create and build relationships at headquarters at the expert level and in the field to promote policy /humanitarian diplomacy efforts, operational collaboration, as well as knowledge and expertise exchange. The position holder will also analyse relevant AfDB documents and reports and link-up with ICRC experts, provide and coordinate feedback from ICRC to the Bank, reinforcing the progress between the two institutions in developing a partnership.
MAIN TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Under hierarchical supervision of the Head of regional delegation and functional management of the Resource Mobilisation, as well as of the Humanitarian Policy divisions in Geneva, the Senior Policy Adviser strengthens the ICRC’s ongoing and foreseen activities with the AfDB, through performance of the following:
- Focal point for building and deepening network of relevant relationships (e.g. sectoral and country experts) across the AfDB, prioritizing units engaged on fragility, conflict, violence and resilience contexts and issues (such as forced displacement, urbanization, erosion of essential services such as water, health, sanitation).
- Advance and sustain dialogue as well as create opportunities for AfDB engagement with ICRC Geneva and Field colleagues, to increase exchange of information and expertise.
- Monitor AfDB reporting and research for relevant input for ICRC policy formulation and opportunities, to provide feedback and key events for possible ICRC contributions.
- Play an active role in communication with and support to ICRC Geneva file holders, including appropriate support to regional directorates and other units which may benefit from AfDB engagement or could contribute to building the relationship.
- Represent the ICRC at relevant meetings and public fora.
- Environmental Awareness and Influencing: Map AfDB organizational units for key actors relevant to ICRC humanitarian priorities (e.g. experts in relevant units) and to initiatives which may be of interest to the ICRC operational and humanitarian diplomacy priorities;
- Build relations with key actors and other influencers within and around the AfDB structure (e.g. key country executive directors, mirroring ICRC key donors);
- Monitor and report on AfDB new programs, activities and research on relevant ICRC priorities and interests;
- Knowledge and Expertise Exchange: Develop strategies and action plans for convening and deepening knowledge, furthering information exchanges: e.g. technical workshop, peer exchanges, country-specific exchanges via teleconference, representation on exposure mission, dissemination of AfDB analysis and reporting to broader ICRC;
- Enhanced Operational Collaboration: Assist the ICRC in furthering joint programmatic endeavours, whether through interfacing with key stakeholders at the AfDB HQ, supporting the drafting of proposals and reporting documents, providing analysis, etc.;
- Humanitarian Diplomacy: Analyse AfDB’s strengths and opportunities as an actor of influence regionally and locally, identifying relevant themes, actors and forums for shaping the Bank’s policy on matters of ICRC interests, as well as more generally, advocacy purposes;
- Coordination and communication: Support ICRC headquarters execution and communication of partnership strategy and delivery, conceptualisation and dissemination of information through Geneva and to field, etc.;
- Contribute to writing of the delegation’s strategic planning documents such as the yearly “Planning for Results” (PfR) and budget preparation and follow up of the related budget, considering the delegation’s institutional file holder position with the AfDB;
- Support leadership and expert-level visitors’ engagement with the Bank; prepare in a timely and concise manner written reporting on activities and meetings which involve the AfDB and other multilateral institutions;
- Contribute to ICRC’s learning agenda on engagement with International Financial Institutions.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATION
- University degree at master’s level in relevant field (e.g. international relations, development, conflict resolution);
- Excellent professional oral and written English and French;
- Computer proficiency;
- At least 10 years of experience working with international humanitarian or development organizations or government agency on related issues;
- Experience with the AfDB, knowledge of its structure and familiarity with its work on fragility and conflict highly preferred;
- Prior experience or familiarity with the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement and the humanitarian sector an asset;
- Confirmed capacity to analyse humanitarian and development-related trends and AfDB policies related to key issues for ICRC (forced displacement, essential services in conflict etc);
- Solid understanding of national/regional dynamics and their interplay with humanitarian affairs;
- Strong analytic and drafting skills;
- Experience with AfDB programmatic documents, project design process, M&E an asset;
- Excellent networker and pro-active relationship builder, grit and resilience in engagement and drive;
- Pro-active team-player, self-starter with strong organisational, communication and inter-personal skills;
- Robust organizational skills and ability to handle multiple priorities in an autonomous manner.
WHAT WE OFFER
- A work and progressive professional development in an exciting international humanitarian environment;
- An inspiring opportunity to practice your profession in a humanitarian and multicultural organization;
- Stimulating reward and benefits package.
Interested candidates meeting the above requirements are encouraged to submit their updated CV and a motivation letter, through email@example.com not later than 28 February 2020. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.